Jewel Lake Wilson's Warblers, Swainson's Thrush, Great Blue Heron

George A Suennen

Happy Friday.

I was going to join up with the 1st Friday group in Tilden, but with all the construction, they must be meeting in another location. Anyway, I took a hike to Jewel Lake (the long way around).

Highlights were the large number of Wilson's Warblers, a Swainson's Thrush (I usually just hear them, don't get to see them that often), a few Black-headed Grosbeaks, and a visit from a Great Blue Heron.

Here is the complete list, in order of appearance:

Song Sparrow
Bushtit (courtship)
Chestnut-backed Chickadee
American Robin
Black-headed Grosbeak
Anna's Hummingbird
Double-crested Cormorant
Wilson's Warbler
Dark-eyed Junco (adults and juvenile)
Great Blue Heron
Mallard
Swainson's Thrush
Allen's Hummingbird
Common Raven
Spotted Towhee
Mourning Dove
Turkey Vulture
Black Phoebe
Stellar Jay
Hutton's Vireo
Cooper's Hawk
Oak Titmouse

I got some good photos of the Great Blue as well as the Robins and Hutton's Vireo plus a few others.

I posted my photos at http://birds.avianist.com/2014/140502-Jewel-Lake/

Best Regards,
George
http://birds.avianist.com