Oakland gull

Lori Arthur <loriarthur61@...>

Hi. Today, while my mom and I were at a stoplight on McArthur Blvd in Oakland, an unusual gull landed in front of the car on a lamp post. It was about the size and shape of a Ring-billed, but with a darker back (only a little paler than California Gull) and perhaps slightly more white in the wingtips. It was in breeding plumage, with no markings on the head, so its all-dark eye stood out. Its bill was rather large, like California Gull's, but all-yellow with only a small black gonydeal mark. My first thought was Mew, but its bill seemed much too large, and the bird was too big overall. I'm thinking possibly aberrant California. Any ideas? Has anyone ever seen a gull like that?

-- Noah Arthur, Oakland