Concord migrant fallout 4/26/14

Noah Arthur

Albert Linkowski and I birded in the rain today hoping for a fallout, and we were successful at Ellis Lake Park in Concord. All the eucalyptus and nearby trees around the edge of the lake were full of birds, with the most numerous species probably being WESTERN TANAGER. The trees were full of tanagers, usually several in each tree, often two or more perching close together. Warblers included NASHVILLE, ORANGE-CROWNED, WILSON'S, YELLOW, AUDUBON'S YELLOW-RUMPED, and COMMON YELLOWTHROAT. A streak-backed oriole that wasn't a Streak-backed Oriole gave me a real false alarm at first, until he sang, proving himself to be a young male BULLOCK'S ORIOLE. Swallows included ROUGH-WINGED, BARN, and VIOLET-GREEN, as well as several VAUX'S and WHITE-THROATED SWIFTS.

Markham Park was unproductive, but we found spectacular swift and swallow action again at Mallard Reservoir, where the wind seemed to be forcing the birds down. There were large numbers of ROUGH-WINGED, CLIFF, BARN, and TREE SWALLOWS, as well as an apparent hybrid CLIFFxBARN SWALLOW -- a tattered, molting Barn-like swallow lacking the "swallow tail" and having a bright white forehead, as on Cliff. At least ten VAUX'S SWIFTS were swirling in and out of the cottonwoods in an insect-like swarm, often seemingly disappearing for several minutes at a time (presumably perching somewhere in the trees).

Noah Arthur, Oakland