Brookdale Park 9/24

Lori Arthur <loriarthur61@...>

Hi. I was mainly butterflying at Brookdale Park this afternoon, but the park was
very birdy, so I did a little birding with my excellent new "Vortex Diamondback"
binoculars. There was a single large BUSHTIT flock, which included a few
CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEES and 2-3 TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS. One of the Townsend's
showed a rather narrow supercilium, setting off my brain's Blackburnian alarm,
but the citrine-yellow throat and breast said Townsend's. Also at least one
COMMON RAVEN. A flycatcher briefly showed itself in some trees on the High
Street end of the park, but there were lots of people around and I didn't feel
comfortable getting out the very expensive binoculars.

The biggest surprise was earlier this morning in the car driving past the park:
five CANADA GEESE feeding on the ball field. They were very large, and seemed
quite happy, but by the time I got back in the afternoon, a soccer team was
practicing on the field and the geese were gone.

Butterflies included CABBAGE WHITE, ORANGE SULFUR, WOODLAND, UMBER, and COMMON
CHECKERED-SKIPPERS, and three beautiful MONARCHS. No swallowtails, though.

- Noah Arthur, Oakland.