Contra Costa Co.

Joe Parker

After reading about the big day done yesterday, this morning I did some owling along Bear Creek Rd. in Orinda. I was able to see and hear GREAT HORNED OWLS, I saw 1 Barn Owl and heard, but did not see, Western Screech-Owls.
I then spent the morning at Mitchell Canyon in Clayton. A good variety of western migrants were there including Orange-crowned, YELLOW, Black- throated Gray, Townsend's and Wilson's warblers, Warbling Vireo, WESTERN TANAGER, and Western-type Flycatcher. 2 VAUX'S SWIFTS hawked over the canyon and a California Thrasher thought it was March by the way it was singing. Also fun was seeing 2 White-breasted Nuthatches foraging with 2 Red-Breasted Nuthatches. I also found my FOF Ruby- crowned Kinglet and Hermit Thrush.
Fall is here - the California Fall Colors were evident - the buckeyes are brown and the poison oak is turning red....
I then went to the Iron Horse WTP in Oakley. Did not find the Black Tern, but Forster's were coming and going, so it may still be around. Did see 3 RED-NECKED PHALAROPES riding the chop in the big pond and a LESSER YELLOWLEGS was roosting next to a Greater Yellowlegs for a great comparison. A few White-throated Swifts joined the swallow flock for a while. The swallows were mostly Tree, with some Barn, 2 Cliff and 1 Violet-green mixed in.

Kathy Parker
Los Gatos