Hermit thrush in Castro Valley

Mike Shannon

I was pleasantly surprised to see a Hermit Thrush feeding on the ground underneath my feeder this morning. I have been here 12 years and this is the first time I have seen one in my yard. I am in Palomares Hills, near the fire station. I have resident populations of chestnut backed chickadees, bewicks wrens, Nutalls woodpeckers and the usual assortment of sparrows, finches, towhees, scrub jays, morning doves, rock doves and hummingbirds.

Mike Shannon

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App

----- Original Message -----
To: EBB_Sightings@...
Sent:Fri Feb 7 05:13:56 UTC 2014
Subject: Re: [EBB_Sightings] Pt. Richmond Slaty-backed still there

To: "EBB_Sightings@..."
Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2014 4:38 PM
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Pt. Richmond Slaty-backed still there

Hi everyone. I got to Pt. Richmond more than two hours before low tide today, and almost the first bird I laid eyes on was the adult SLATY-BACKED GULL ("Slaty 1"), the one with two white primary coverts on the right wing.

As low tide approached, however, diversity seemed to decline, with most of the birds being GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS. They're big and mean and I'm thinking they may have chased away a lot of the others, including Slaty 1. It also seemed like at any given moment a large percentage of the Glaucous-wings were singing -- deafening in some places, and making it almost impossible to pick out the calls of other gulls.

Low tide tomorrow is at 12:49pm, although I'd suggest getting there well before low tide so that hopefully you'll get to see something other than Glaucous-winged Gulls!  

Noah Arthur, Oakland, CA

Join EBB-Sightings@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.