Pt. Richmond Slaty-backed still there

Noah Arthur

Hi everyone. I got to Pt. Richmond more than two hours before low tide today, and almost the first bird I laid eyes on was the adult SLATY-BACKED GULL ("Slaty 1"), the one with two white primary coverts on the right wing.

As low tide approached, however, diversity seemed to decline, with most of the birds being GLAUCOUS-WINGED GULLS. They're big and mean and I'm thinking they may have chased away a lot of the others, including Slaty 1. It also seemed like at any given moment a large percentage of the Glaucous-wings were singing -- deafening in some places, and making it almost impossible to pick out the calls of other gulls.

Low tide tomorrow is at 12:49pm, although I'd suggest getting there well before low tide so that hopefully you'll get to see something other than Glaucous-winged Gulls!

Noah Arthur, Oakland, CA