Slaty-backed Gull long-call

Noah Arthur

Big thanks to Steve Tucker for spotting the beautiful adult SLATY-BACKED GULL at the Point Richmond Herring Run today! The most interesting part, to me anyway, was that I was able to watch and listen to his long-call twice while he was on the water near the herring boat. It was a very distinctive, descending three-note series unlike other gull long-calls I've heard, which I immediately wrote down as "kreeet, kreuut, kruut". The first note was high-pitched, the second mid-pitch, and the third low. He leaned forward and stretched his neck like other gulls while calling on the water (I never saw him call on land but I wonder if the posture will be different from other species?)

Noah Arthur, Oakland