1/3/14 Barrow's and Tropical Kingbird in Oakland

janet ellis

I started my search at Laney College (so glad it's a winter break) on the south canal path between 5th and Fallon and 8th and 10th. I parked on 8th near the Baseball field and first spotted Common Goldeneyes, Buffleheads and Scaup. Then I spotted both a male and female Barrow's Goldeneye. (female confirmed by Bob Dunn). After that I spotted a pair of Cinnamon Teals at Garretson Point. Then with a nudge from Bob Dunn I was able to spot the Tropical Kingbird. I parked at the lot at Zhone and Oakport. Then walked down past the sculpture to the beaten Palm tree. First I didn't see it and walked to just about the bend in the trail. When I turned back it was sitting on the wire. As I kept taking pictures a family went by and it flew into a bush but a Mockingbird chased it out and then they kinda played tag. So it's still there.
JanetĀ  Ellis
San Leandro