Clay-colored Sparrow at Contra Loma Reg. Park in Antioch

Denise Wight

Hi E. B. Birders,

I got two brief looks at a likely Clay-colored Sparrow at Contra Loma Regional Park in Antioch this afternoon.  It was a spizella sparrow lacking dark lores, and the facial pattern was soft with nice warm tones.  The breast was whitish and unstreaked. From what I could see of the crown, it appeared rusty-colored.

From the entrance fee kiosk drive straight ahead and park before the boat launch area.  On the west side of this parking area, there is a group of picnic tables set back from the water and surrounded by tall trees. The bird was seen in the smaller trees about 30 feet slightly uphill to the south of the picnic tables. There were a lot of birds in this area (including Savannah Sparrows, Lark Sparrows, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Western Bluebirds, American and Lesser Goldfinch, and House Finch) foraging on the ground and bathing in drinking fountain puddle, but I never saw the CCSP on the ground.

Paul Schorr joined me in the attempt to relocate the bird, but we had not luck. After he left I saw the bird again briefly, but I had to leave, and I was unable get a photo.

My complete list of birds for the day are on eBird:

All the Best Birding,
Denise Wight
Moraga, Ca.