Aechmophorus hybriziation

Matthew Dodder

During my Palo Alto Adult School birding class field trip to Hayward Shoreline, Caroline Lambert and Brooke Miller photographed male WESTERN and female CLARK'S GREBES interacting. Caroline's sequence of images appears to show gift exchange and copulation. Also, there was frequent calling from the birds. This cross has been noted in Eugene McCarthy's book "Handbook of Avian Hybrids of the World" so I guess it isn't too unusual, but I had never seen a pair like this myself. I wonder what the offspring will look like, if indeed they produce young. McCarthy says "hard to identify"... no surprise there.

http://www.kittiwakenaturephotography.com/p632415121/h26778015#h2381f58a

Matthew Dodder
Mountain View, CA
http://neornithes.wordpress.com