Short-eared Owl at Hayward Shoreline

Matthew Dodder

I led my Palo Alto Adult School birding class to Hayward Shoreline, specifically Mount Trashmore, in search of Longspurs... Well, that didn't have the desired results, but we had some great birds anyway. Best was probably a SHORT-EARED OWL found by Brooke Miller in the marsh just south of Trashmore. We also found HORNED LARK and AMERICAN PIPITS in the short grass areas. Frank's Dump was productive with several RED KNOT and RUDDY TURNSTONES. Plenty of activity on the water with ELEGANT, FORSTER'S TERN, BONAPARTE'S GULL, and GREATER SCAUP.

This link should lead to a full list of species:

Matthew Dodder
Mountain View, CA
http://neornithes.wordpress.com