Re: O.T. migrating dragonflies

ROBERT VAUGHAN

Thank you for that!

From: Mark Rauzon
To: ebb_sightings@...
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2013 7:40 PM
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] O.T. migrating dragonflies

At Oyster Bay Regional Park in San Leandro, I tried to locate the birds reported by Zack Baer, and I ran into Vern Nelson. We did not see any unusual species in the rather birdy hilltop area. But I did see something that stopped me in my tracks. It took a bit to realize what was happening, but a steady stream of medium-sized dragonflies were passing me without deviation in flight. I could see 10 at any one moment pass and the river of dragonflies kept coming. I could have seen over a thousand pass me at low level flight, and felt like I was in the  movie Avatar! They had a reddish sheen to the wings and I was fortunate to see two rest briefly. I took some photos to help ID the insects:

Turns out they are Varigated Meadowhawks, known as long-distance migrants, breeding as far north as Canada with a massive late summer emergence and southward migration along the Pacific Northwest coast all the way to Honduras for the winter.

Amazing !

http://rauzon.zenfolio.com/p859914566/hc95b00#hc95b00

Mark Rauzon
Oakland