Broad-winged Hawk in Lafayette

Jeff Acuff

This morning while eating a late breakfast in my backyard I watched a high red-tail riding a thermal.  As it peeled out of the thermal, it took a very direct southerly tact overhead. I grabbed my binos off the table and was surprised to find that the "red-tail" had an absence of dark patagials, a prominent dark trailing edge to the wings, and rather pointed wings for a buteo.  Based on the light color and lack of sharply contrasting stripes in the tail, it was a light-morph juvenile broad-winged hawk.

I hope they are having a big broad-winged day out in the Marin Headlands today.  Sending out my best to the GGRO.

Good Birding,
Jeff Acuff
Lafayette