Red-necked Phalaropes- Oakland Middle Harbor

VerneN

I birded Oakland Middle Harbor during the late morning today.  Mostly I sat on the beach
watching the Elegant Terns wait out the tide.  In the group were also Godwits, Long-billed
Curlews, Black-bellied Plovers, and Forster's Terns.  A Belted Kingfisher hovered over
all of them at one point.

Near the group, along the shoreline, a pair of Phalaropes fed constantly near the shore.
I think they were Red-necked juveniles. They acted as if I wasn't there, pecking at microscopic
food in the water and occasionally foraging the water's edge where the small waves were breaking.

Here is a picture of one as a small wave rolled under it: