Catching the red eye- Cooper's Hawk on the patio- Bay Farm Island, Alameda

VerneN

The Cooper's Hawk that hunts my patio birds has returned after an
absence of several months. It announced its arrival about a week ago
when it swooped in and out of my kitchen through the open patio door
nearly hitting me as I sat at a table!
A few days ago it tried for the birds again and was again unsuccessful,
landing on the fence afterward. It's looks a little worn in the
feathers but otherwise seems healthy:
http://upload.pbase.com/image/151944007
<http://upload.pbase.com/image/151944007>
I speculate that I didn't see it during the summer because it was
hunting the abundance of fledgling songbirds waiting in trees to be fed.