Don Edwards SFBNWR,Coyote Hills(8/20)-Elegant Tern,Ruddy Turnstone,W Tanager

Jerry Ting

This (8/20) late afternoon I birded the Shoreline Trail head area just north of the Dumbarton Bridge in Don Edwards SF Bay National Wildlife Refuge. Highlights include:

Elegant Tern (3) - all adult seen with hundreds of Willets and Marbled Godwits on island east of the Shoreline Trail head (pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/9558683483/).
Ruddy Turnstone (1) - still have some breeding plumage (pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/9558683545/). Same location as above.
Least Tern (1) - seen foraging on the shore along the trail.

Later I headed to Coyote Hills birded the Visitor Center and Main Marsh. Highlights are:
Western Tanager (1) - juvenile seen in the Alder tree beside the Visitor Center gate.
Swainson's Thrush (1) - same location as above.
American Kestrel (1) - seen hunting dragonflies around the pond just off the park entrance road (pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/9558683717/).
Wilson's Phalarope (1) - seen in the Main Pond.
Lesser Yellowlegs (14) - also seen in the Main Pond.

Happy Birding,

Jerry Ting
Fremont