08/16 -- Richmond Shoreline -- BRANT

Michael Park

EBBers,

Before the climax of the evening high tide from 420 to 550 PM, I
ventured around the shoreline near Meeker Slough to look for shorebirds.

I was extremely surprised to find two BRANT at the mouth of the Meeker
Slough where shorebirds often roost at high tide. The mixed flock was
sighted from the Bay Trail about 100 yards east of the footbridge over
Meeker Slough.

In that flock were 3 GREATER SCAUP, 2 BLACK OYSTERCATCHER, 1 RUDDY DUCK,
and the usual large shorebirds.

Afterwards, I checked the sandy beach and the marsh to the east of it.
This area is accessed from the bend in the Bay Trail west of the
footbridge over Meeker Slough. Out past the east end of the beach were 1
juvenile LEAST TERN and a large flock of BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER. To my
surprise, within that plover flock, I found a RED KNOT still retaining
some features of alternate plumage. The Red Knot and Least Tern were
birds that had previously eluded me in Contra Costa County.

Full checklist here:

A record image can be seen within the checklist.

Michael Park
Berkeley