Fresh Juvenile Forster's Tern

VerneN

I went back to the Martin Luther King Shoreline in Oakland yesterday and
watched a pair of Forster's Tern parents fishing the Airport Channel
along with a juvenile. Previously I thought they were guarding the
juvenile while it learned to fish. That is still probably true, but
they are also feeding it.
Like many land birds, the juvenile trails after the parents calling out
for food. It lands in the water to receive the fish the parent has
brought back:
http://upload.pbase.com/vnelson/image/151369474
<http://upload.pbase.com/vnelson/image/151369474>
Also here is a photo of the young one's "Fresh Juvenile" plumage.
Primarily that means it is showing beige in the feathers of the body and
top wings (and a "Zorro" mask). Sibley says the beige color wears away
rapidly:
http://www.pbase.com/vnelson/image/151369663
<http://www.pbase.com/vnelson/image/151369663>