BDMRP Prairie Falcons

Jeff Acuff

On Sunday I hiked the ridge trail at Black Diamond Mines and was treated to prairie falcons engaging each other in aerial training exercises.  There were at least 3 and perhaps as many as 5 birds.  It was tough to keep track of them as they would disappear and reappear from behind cliff faces and trees with the speed one would expect from prairies.  They put on quite a show.

I saw three together once.  At least two were juveniles, and at least one of those was banded.  I wonder if anyone is doing nest banding up there.

Good birding,
Jeff Acuff