Tanager @ Hummingbird Feeder?

Jim Roethe

Yesterday I saw what I thought was a female Western Tanager fly to the
hummingbird feeder just outside my home office window in North Orinda--for a
drink of water from the ant guard. The bird was not after the nectar.

I was confused when I thought a heard some chattering -- more like an
oriole. This bird was light greenish yellow on its head, breast and throat.
No orange. Two white wing bars and a short bill that I thought was more
rounded like a Tanager -- but the chattering threw me off. Could this have
been an Orchard Oriole? The bill was clearly not the long pointed bill of
a Hooded Oriole and there was no orange on the breast like I would expect
of a Bullock's Oriole.

I tried to get a picture, but the bird was gone before I could get my
camera.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Roethe