Golden Gate Audubon Society Second Friday Birdwalk, 10 May 2013 Briones Regional Park

Alan Kaplan <lnkpln@...>

Friends!

Briones Regional Park--Bear Creek Staging Area, Contra Costa, US-CA

Golden Gate Audubon Society Second Friday Birdwalk, 10 May 2013, meeting at the Bear Creek staging area of Briones Regional Park, and walking to the scout camp/Archery Range/ acorn woodpecker trees. Sylvia Hawley joined us (and left to meet Phila Rogers, who is convalescing from a broken shoulder- we all wish her a speedy recovery!). Bob Brandrieff attended, again. Sue Morgan from Tuesday for the Birds came, too.

Butterflies were pipevine swallowtail, tiger swallowtail, Lorquin's admiral (many), buckeye, Edith's chalcedon checkerspot, Sara's orange tip, alfalfa, and cabbage white.

We started with a bang: Lazuli Buntings in copulo ! (twice !) FOS Ash-throated flycatcher for me and several others. eBird shows this was the week that Ash-throateds arrived (May 3 thru today May 10), but few Chipping Sparrows have been seen yet (and none today, by us).

Here is the list:

43 species

California Quail X
Wild Turkey X
American White Pelican 20 flyover, we were near the San Pablo Reservoir
Great Blue Heron 1
Turkey Vulture 3 makes it official !
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1 heard
Red-tailed Hawk X
Mourning Dove X
White-throated Swift X
Anna's Hummingbird X
Acorn Woodpecker 2
Nuttall's Woodpecker 1
Olive-sided Flycatcher X
Pacific-slope Flycatcher X
Ash-throated Flycatcher X FOS for many, lots of them and good looks at them, too. Lots of vocalization.
for a Flycatcher hat trick !
Hutton's Vireo X
Warbling Vireo X
Steller's Jay X
Western Scrub-Jay X
American Crow X
Common Raven X
for a Corvid grand slam !
Violet-green Swallow X
Barn Swallow X
Chestnut-backed Chickadee X
Oak Titmouse X
Bushtit X
Brown Creeper 2
Bewick's Wren X
Wrentit X
Western Bluebird X
European Starling X bringing food to nest
Orange-crowned Warbler X
Wilson's Warbler X
Spotted Towhee X
California Towhee X
Song Sparrow X
Dark-eyed Junco X
Black-headed Grosbeak X
Lazuli Bunting X in copulo
Red-winged Blackbird X
Purple Finch X
Lesser Goldfinch X

Upcoming events; Thursday, May 16, talk on Alaska as the breeding grounds for the Pacific Flyway shorebirds we love to see around the Bay. Program at 7:30pm at the Northbrae Community Church, just south of Solano Avenue, on The Alameda in Berkeley.
Next First Friday GGAS birdwalk at Tilden Nature Area, June 7, 2013 at 8:30 (meet in the Nature Area parking lot in front of the Little Farm/EEC). We'll continue our theme of the Neuroscience of Birdsong: how birds learn to sing.

Best of Boids!

Alan Kaplan