Dawn Chorus GGAS Birdwalk May 3, 2013 in Tilden Regional Park

Alan Kaplan <lnkpln@...>

Friends!

28 birders (20 of them by 5:35 am !) saw 31 species on our Second Annual Dawn Chorus Birdwalk in Tilden Regional Park, Friday, May 3, 2013. We met at the foot of Canon Drive, and walked up Meadows Canyon Trail a bit and then into the Nature Area and down to the Little Farm.

Swainson's Thrush singing full song in the morning was a hit, as were displaying and tussling Wild Turkeys at the end of the walk. We were particularly happy to see Bob Brandriff, Sylvia Hawley (who left to take Phila Rogers birding later in the morning), and Susan Schwartz of Friends of Five Creeks.

Our theme was the biology of the Dawn Chorus: males may be singing because it's too dark to eat !; birds with bigger eyes start singing earlier; males may be singing to announce that they survived the night and are still on their territory and available as a mate;
males may be trying to attract any females that arrived during the night.

Thanks to all early risers (human and avian) for a great morning!

Here's the list:

Mallard
California Quail
Wild Turkey
Black-crowned Night Heron (amazing fly-over)
Red-shouldered Hawk (carrying food item)
Mourning Dove
Northern Flicker
Olive-sided Flycatcher (FOS for me !)
Pacific-slope Flycatcher