GGAS Birdathon - Six-Hour Oakland Whirlwind - 105 Species

Glen Tepke

As part of the Golden Gate Audubon Society Birdathon, between 8:03 and 2:03 today, the Oaktown Ouzels -- Pat Bacchetti, Carol Chetkovich, Nicole Clausing, Ilana DeBare, Pipi Ray Diamond, Kitty O'Neil, Mark Rauzon, and Glen Tepke -- did a whirlwind tour of seven birding sites in or immediately adjacent to the city of Oakland, finishing the day with 105 species. One more species, Cliff Swallow, was seen by only one team member, so we didn't count it. Our route, with highlight birds, included:

Sibley Volcanic Regional Preserve - WHITE-TAILED KITE (1- quite uncommon around Oakland), GOLDEN EAGLE (2), HOUSE WREN (1), RUFOUS-CROWNED SPARROW (1), LARK SPARROW (4-5), LAZULI BUNTING (3)

Joaquin Miller Park - PACIFIC WREN (2)

Dimond Park - WARBLING VIREO (4-5)

Lake Merritt - CACKLING GOOSE (2) in the fenced duck pond, HOODED MERGANSER (1) female among the scaup near the Embarcadero

Middle Harbor Shoreline Park - RED KNOT (1), LEAST TERN (4)

Garretson Point, MLK Regional Shoreline - BLUE-WINGED TEAL (3)

Arrowhead Marsh - MLK Regional Shoreline - CLAPPER RAIL (1 seen, 3-4 heard)

A complete list follows. Thanks to all of the team members for a great day in Oaktown. And thanks to all of our sponsors for their support of GGAS. It's not too late to get in on the Birdathon action - there are more field trips scheduled for next weekend, or you can show your support for the only conservation and environmental education organization focused on the birds of San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley and points north on the East Bay shore by pledging at http://www.goldengateaudubon.org/donate/birdathon-2013/. If you want to specifically acknowledge the Oaktown Ouzels, you can pledge here :

https://www.z2systems.com/np/clients/goldengateaudubon/campaign.jsp?campaign=396&team=74&fundraiser=110584400&

On behalf of the birds, thanks for your help.

Glen Tepke
Oakland

CACKLING GOOSE
CANADA GOOSE