Richmond Bayside and Berkeley Pier 7/26/10

Dominik Mosur

Birded the tidal marshes and mudflats between Shimada Park and Pt. Isabel between 10 a.m. and 12:45 p.m. today. Good numbers of 13 species of shorebirds present though no rarities. I did add LONG-BILLED DOWITCHER (calling) and WHIMBREL for my Contra Costa County list and saw my first juvenile WESTERN SANDPIPER and juvenile WILLET of the year.

Later I walked out to the end of Berkeley Pier and strained my eyes for 15 minutes looking through the "fenced off" end toward the broken pier before getting distant looks at a pair of PIGEON GUILLEMOTS flying low over the water and disappearing in the swells as they landed. (thanks to Zach Baer for the tip on finding these)

Ironically, as I walked back to my car, I saw a PIGEON GUILLEMOT no more than 40 yards north off the pier, parallel with the 7th lightpost (about 120-140 yards out) The guillemot dove, came up with a fish in its bill, then flew back out toward the end of the pier, presumably to feed a chick (?)

There were also (4) HEERMANN'S GULLS loafing in the parking lot of the HS Lordship restaurant south of the pier parking area.

Good birding,
Dominik Mosur
San Francisco

Join EBB-Sightings@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.