Fall Migration

rosita94598

The reports of the shorebirds at Frank's Dump in Hayward is an indication of the fall migration now underway. Birders in Central Chile have reported Whimbrel, Hudsonian Godwit, Greater Yellowlegs and Willet already. That's a big jump.

For myself, while failing to find any Lesser Nighthawks at the end of Diablo Vista in Byron last night, Paul Schorr and I did have three Long-billed Dowitchers and one Least Sandpiper. One of the dowitchers was in brilliant plumage.

Unfortunately, it will be a week before I can make it to Frank's Dump.

Hugh B. Harvey