Carquinez Strait RS

Laura Look <chamaea@...>

The GRASSHOPPER SPARROWS which were first reported at the beginning of June continue along the Carquinez Overlook Loop Trail at Carquinez Strait Regional Shoreline near Crockett. The most reliable location is in the grasses downhill from the bench overlooking the strait about 0.2 miles from Bull Valley Staging Area. The sparrows are no longer singing. Today (Sun. July 18), the one we saw was carrying some sort of white insect around in his bill. I'm hoping this is evidence of a nest nearby.

Also seen were an Osprey with a fish and 2 juvenile Lark Sparrows. Western Bluebirds are frequently around the hill by the parking lot.

We also had a EURASIAN COLLARED-DOVE flyby. Unfortunately, we are seeing these with increasing regularity at San Pablo Bay RS (end of Pinole Shores Dr in Pinole) and Martinez RS.

Good birding,
--
Laura Look
Pinole, CA