Heather Farm Sunday morning in Walnut Creek

rosita94598

Just as I was about to wheel my bike from the garage, the phone rang in the kitchen. I answered it and Fred Safier told me that he found a White-throated Sparrow along the Contra Costa Canal.

Fred was just west of the end of Sheppard Road, which abuts the walking/biking trail along the canal. A single palm tree is in the back yard of one of the homes there. He had to go, but within a few minutes, I saw both White- and Golden-crowned Sparrows. A few minutes more and I saw movement in one of the bushes. A look with the binoculars proved it was the White-throated Sparrow. This is about 150 yards west of the footbridge over the canal, which leads into/out of the park.

So, yes, you're right, it is not quite in the park proper, being on the north side of the canal. Sorry.

But in the park the Green Heron is becoming easily visible and active again, after an absence during the coldest months. About 50 Ring-necked Ducks were on the large pond, along with the usual Coots, Pied-billed Grebes, Buffleheads and Double-crested Cormorants.

Hugh B. Harvey