Ellis Lake (Concord) 3/4/13

Noah Arthur

Sorry for the late posting. On Sunday afternoon I went fishing at Ellis Lake in Concord. It's a tiny lake surrounded by trees, so I never expected any gulls. I immediately regretted not bringing my bins and camera, however, because gulls were there. Lots of them. But about an hour later Albert Linkowski showed up from out of nowhere, armed with bins and camera, and we had a great time going through the gulls until after sunset. The flock included an adult WESTERN GULL or possibly Western/G-winged hybrid, a bit of a surprise at a tiny lake in Concord. Also an adult MEW GULL (the only Mew present) that seemed very large, as big as the RING-BILLED GULLS, and relatively dark-winged. I'll probably post that one on CalGulls soon. The best non-gull was a female HOODED MERGANSER that Albert spotted swimming near the gull flock. This is a surprisingly productive little lake!

Here are some of Albert's photos (great pics!): https://picasaweb.google.com/116458691385845361056/Mew?authuser=0&feat=directlink#

Noah Arthur, Oakland