Herring run gulls 2/8/13

Noah Arthur

When I arrived at the Pt. Richmond herring run this afternoon, Mike Park and Todd Easterla showed me the beautiful adult SLATY-BACKED GULL just before it flew and disappeared. Thanks guys!

A little later, along the shoreline next to the crane/dock-like structures near Ferry Point, I snapped some pics of a gull that I didn't think even worth showing Mike and Todd, but later turned out to look pretty good for third-cycle KUMLIEN'S ICELAND GULL. One expert I sent the photos to already agrees that it looks good for kumlieni.

The run is supposed to continue well into next week and gull numbers should continue increasing, so get out there!

Noah Arthur, Oakland