Re: Dead Virgina rail in Kensington

George A Suennen

Doug,

I and some others spotted a Rail at Jewel Lake (Tilden Park) last winter,
that's not too far from you. So it could have been a native or wild bird.

George
http://birds.jorj7.com

On 12/19/2012 3:57 PM, Doug Bevington wrote:

Hi all,

I'm new to this list, so I hope this isn't a silly question. I live in
Kensington, near the top of the hill above El Cerrito (near Hilltop
Elementary School), and I recently found a dead Virgina rail on the
sidewalk a few doors down from my house. It did not have any obvious
damage, but was close enough to the street that I suspect it may have
been hit by a car. I don't think of upper elevation suburban
Kensington as rail habitat, so I was wondering if this is something
unusual that I should get recorded or should I try to get the rail's
body to the UC Berkeley zoology museum or something like that.
Any suggestions are appreciated. And likewise, if this is nothing
unusual, that would be helpful to know too.

Thanks, Doug