Oakland CBC results, December 16, 2012

David Quady and Nancy Boas

Birders:

About 200 birders covered the Oakland CBC count circle yesterday in far better weather than predicted a few days earlier, and they recorded 177 species (preliminary count), right around our recent average.

For the first time that I can recall we missed NO regularly occurring species on count day. But we're still interested in hearing about any unusual species found within the Oakland CBC circle during count week (Thurs Dec 13 through Wed Dec 19). Please send me an email with details if you see, or have seen, a noteworthy species.

On Sunday, observers reported these unusual species:

Snow Goose: near the soccer fields along the frontage road at Eastshore State Park, Berkeley
Ross's Goose: one on the infield at Golden Gate Fields, and one at Arrowhead Marsh
Long-billed Dowitchers: at San Leandro Bay, identified by call
Short-eared Owl: one near the Bay Bridge Toll Plaza, and presumably a second bird at Arrowhead Marsh
Tree Swallows: a few over Lafayette Reservoir were the only swallow species reported
Black-and-white Warbler: in the Cerritos Creek riparian strip across from the El Cerrito Plaza parking lot
Hermit Warbler: one visiting a feeder on Yolo Street in Berkeley, one in the Tilden Park Botanical Garden, and one on Vollmer Peak
Clay-colored Sparrow: at a feeder on Deakin Street in Berkeley, photographed when it appeared about a week ago and also on Count Day. At the compilation dinner it was chosen as the count's Best Bird.
Swamp Sparrow: at Lafayette Reservoir near the visitor center, as George Griffeth reported to EBB Sightings yesterday.

I understand that there were recent reports of Red Crossbills and Evening Grosbeaks in Tilden Park. Neither species was found yesterday; if they were confirmed during count week, I'd appreciate receiving details. A Tropical Kingbird seen in recent days at Garretson Point, confirmed by a description and by photographs, was not found on count day. But we did find one 'regularly occurring' rarity -- a male Tufted Duck, at Lake Merritt. It was in the northeast part of the lake, which also held a female Redhead -- scarce in recent years, seen between the shoreline and the island.

Eurasian Collared-Dove, celebrated (after a fashion) as being new to the count last year, became just another ho-hum, don't-even-need-a-rare-bird-report, widespread species this year. No species new to the count were reported last night.

My co-compiler, Bob Lewis, joins me in thanking everyone who took part in this year's count.

Please plan to join us on December 15, 2013 for the 73rd Oakland Christmas Bird Count.

Dave Quady
Berkeley, California
davequady@att.net