Re: Woodbridge Road Crane

Joe Morlan

I think White-naped Crane would lack the apparent contrast between the dark
neck and gray body and would show more extensive contrasting dark primaries
and secondaries. This bird shows a very narrow black trailing edge to the
wing, more like Sandhill.

I was wondering about a possible Common Crane except that it should also
show more extensively dark primaries and secondaries. Also Common Crane's
white facial stripe does not extend forward to the gape.

Which leaves me wondering if it's not just an odd Sandhill.

On Fri, 23 Nov 2012 19:22:30 -0800, John Sterling <jsterling@...>
wrote:

looks similar to a White-naped Crane

John Sterling

26 Palm Ave
Woodland, CA 95695
530 908-3836
jsterling@...

www.sterlingbirds.com (photos, classes, tours, county birding)

On Nov 23, 2012, at 6:21 PM, "mathesont" <mathesont@...> wrote:

Amongst all the cranes on Woodbridge Road today we had a flyover of one that had a dark head and did not look like a Sandhill. Crappy photo here http://www.flickr.com/photos/44055945@N06/8211669161/in/photostream

Rob Thomas
Martinez
--
Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt