Re: Pt. Emery

Joe Morlan

I would be cautious about the bird being a hybrid.

Eurasian Wigeon frequently look like that when they first arrive in the fall. The brown body feathers are retained eclipse plumage. Often they will molt into more typical gray during the winter.

It will be interesting to watch its progress if it sticks around.
On Nov 15, 2012, at 6:49 PM, Wen Hsu <wen.hsu@...> wrote:

The photo of the wigeon I took before 1 PM today at the same spot looks more like a hybrid between American and Eurasian as depicted in Sibley.
https://picasaweb.google.com/113494426000479275753/WinterBirds#5811224355797890418
Wen Hsu

Posted by:"John Poole" ggabirder
Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:30 pm (PST)
This afternoon at Pt. Emery there were two surf birds and a Eurasian Wigeon.

Bird Birding,

John Poole