Re: Pigeon Guillemot at Berkeley Pier

scfloyd2000

At 11:00 this morning, at least one pigeon guillemot continued at the Berkeley Pier. I met Jim Lomax on the pier with the bird in sight about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up the pier on the north side. We walked to the end of the pier and saw a pigeon guillemot near there as well. We never had two pigeon guillemots in sight at a time but were surprised that the one we'd seen near the beginning could have gotten so far in so short a time without us seeing it fly. A few Caspian terns were flying around and a single male surf scoter was near the rocky shoreline way down on the south side of the pier.

In other news, if you go to see the indigo bunting off Panoramic Way in Berkeley - a great bird, easy to see - look for wrentits in the succulent garden as you walk along the driveway of the big house at the top of the hill. On Friday morning, Hugh Harvey and I had two singing wrentits in the spiky yellow flowers. We also had a singing California thrasher in a tree up there. On our way down a red-shouldered hawk swooped in front of us to land on a snag next to the road near the Panoramic Way/Panoramic Place junction.

Stephanie Floyd
Fremont