Merlin at Arrowhead Marsh

George A Suennen

Hello All,

Had a good bird day. Went with Allen H. to Arrowhead Marsh this morning.
We were greeted at the entrance to the parking lot by a Merlin sitting in a
tree. At first I thought it was a Cooper's Hawk, but Allen noticed the facial
markings were more like a Kestrel. Another gentlemen came along with a
bird book and Identified it as a Merlin. It was very cooperative, and let us
take photos from several angles.

Also saw a couple of Sora, Clapper Rail, Common Yellowthroats, Marsh Wren,
many Brown Pelicans, Western Grebes, and a few ducks among other birds.

I put up some photos at:

http://birds.jorj7.com/2012/121111-Arrowhead-Marsh

Regards,

George