From: EBB_Sightings@yahoogroups.com [EBB_Sightings@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dave Quady [davequady@att.net]
Sent: Sunday, November 04, 2012 7:19 PM
To: East Bay Birds
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Tufted Duck(s) at Lake Merritt, Oakland

EBBers:

To add to the historical records, starting with Glen Tepke's sighting in 2005, which (I believe) begins the series of sightings in consecutive years through this year that's been posted to date . . .

The Oakland CBC recorded a Tufted Duck on count day in 1994, but not on count day or during count week in 1995 or 1996. But one was found during the count period every year from 1997 through 2004 (and beyond) except for 2002.

My money's on more than one individual being involved . . . the CBC recorded 2 birds in 2004, and there were two -- a male and a female -- present last winter. I wonder how many female Tufted Ducks have been overlooked through the years.

Lake Merritt furnished my lifer, too: in early December, 1978. The Oakland CBC recorded one in 1977, but none afterward, until 1994.

Dave Quady
Berkeley, California
davequady@att.net<mailto:davequady%40att.net>