Hayward Shoreline Sat Jun 12

kathy jarrett

GGAS bicycle trip, Sat June 12. 28 species was pretty good for an exceptionally windy warm day. We battled the wind almost all the way, both bicycling out to the Hayward Shoreline Interpretive Center from San Leandro's Marina Park and back. Species normally seen on this trip were absent, some of which would be attributed to the time of the year. We were surprised to find a large group of Black-bellied plovers and some Willets just north of Johnson's Landing (near the Hayward Shoreline Interpretive Center) and pleased to see a large rookery of Forster's Terns on an island in the marsh nearby. Avocets and stilts were actively feeding in the bay at low tide and moving into the marshes later. The male Ruddy duck was brilliantly ruddy with a blue bill and accompanied by two females. We saw at least one juvenile stilt and a family of Canada Geese. It was the first time we had seen crabs in the pond off the deck of the Interpretive Center, which might explain a
lot of the Forster's Terns nearby.
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Canada Goose