Western Tanager & Northern Pygmy-Owl

Jeff Acuff

Yesterday, mid-day, a female (perhaps a juvenile male) western tanager visited my backyard birdbath in unincorporated Lafayette.

Today, just after 2pm, I heard a Northern Pygmy-Owl's evenly spaced toots.  The tooting lasted about 10 minutes.  Before it stopped, I tried to track down the location.  It seemed to be coming from a heavily wooded riparian drainage area between the backs of residences on Brookwood Drive on one side and Jordon Place on the other.

Good Birding,
Jeff Acuff