Re: 10/22 -- Pine Siskins and a tragedy

Todd Easterla

I can do the math off the top of my head (millions of people have millions
of outdoor cats not to mention the more feral population) and know that cats
are one of the many combined detrimental things to song birds in North
America. They are not even a natural predator here, so yes they must be
having a noticeable impact on the many bird populations, not to mention wind
turbines, towers, windows, fast moving vehicles, airplanes, chemicals, Large
oil spills, pesticides and probably many other man-made influences and
disasters against birds. That is just in our Country.... I can only imagine
what goes on in a third world country.

I hate to even tell this story, but I was at a friend's house that used to
have an outdoor cat while having a BBQ at his residence his cat brought up
three different birds (Scrub Jay, American Goldfinch(2)) that it had caught
in only about two hours. He no longer has that cat outdoors after I showed
him the birds the cat had laid at my feet during that two hours. There is a
place in Sacramento County at the end of Sherman Island Road where there are
about 15 feral cats at a bird sanctuary and people come and feed the cats
daily. A very sad sight to say the least when there are bird feathers strewn
about the cat city. There used to be quail there NOT ANY MORE!

Once at Point Reyes, Nunez Ranch to be exact, I saw one of the outdoor cats
here carrying off a Prothonotary Warbler and it made my heart skip a beat.
I'm sure Mr. Stallcup has seen his share of this kind of thing out there
over the years.

And we worry about playing tapes and recordings which is a lot like pishing
and spushing. Give me a break!

Oh, by the way I like neutered indoor cats and no need for anyone to reply
to this self-venting e-mail.

Todd Easterla
Rancho Catdova, Ca