From: "EastBayBotanist" <dpbot@...>
To: "EBB Sightings" <EBB_Sightings@...>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2012 12:42:21 PM
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] 10/22 -- Pine Siskins and a tragedy

This afternoon, over lunch I noticed a commotion outside my window. To my delight, I saw a flock of PINE SISKIN at my neighbor's feeder and in a nearby tree. They were busy chattering and feeding. And after some time, perhaps an hour, they fell silent perhaps sated and were mostly perched in the tree. Other resident or common birds at this spot were mostly finches -- HOUSE FINCH, LESSER GOLDFINCH -- but also CHESTNUT-BACKED CHICKADEE and RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH.

Just a few minutes, I looked out again from my back porch and discovered a roving house cat or feral cat -- it's hard to tell the difference in some neighborhoods in Berkeley. It was walking down the step from the area where the feeders are located and it had a bird in its mouth.

The fallen bird had a streaky breast. I certainly hoped it was not a siskin. It has been over 5 years since there last were any in this yard.

The flock almost immediately departed the yard. I don't doubt the connection with the strike at the feeder by the loose cat.

Michael Park
Berkeley