Townsend's Warbler (for Phila Rogers)

rfs_berkeley

The following is posted for Phila (whose travails with EBB continue). -Rusty Scalf

Dear Friends:

Yesterday we saw a female Townsend's Warbler in my crabapple tree. (north Berkeley hills). It was "chipping" so I had a chance to commit its call to memory.

This is the second morning in a row when I went out to the end of the street overlooking the open hillside listening for the first Golden-crowned Sparrows (see the recent audubongoldengate.org/blog for a fuller description). Once again, it was quiet with a light, clearing fog -- hummers, finches, Red-breasted Nuthatches, Nuttall's Woodpecker, but not signs of a golden-crown.

In response to my blog, the PRBO sent a graph showing the first capture of GCSP since 1977 at Palomarin which correlates closely to my records with last fall's appearance in both locations by far the latest date. What is it about this modest small brown bird that attracts such a following (they even have an office pool guessing the arrival date).

Phila Rogers