Re: Nuttall's Woodpeckers in the Richmond area

Mike Shannon

i have a pair of nutalls woodpeckers that visit my nut feeder every day. they appear to be here all year. the must be nesting nearby but i have not seen a young one.

i have also seen them at the end of the east shore trail in lake chabot near the footbridge.

i am in Palomares Hills just east of Castro Valley @700 feet elevation.

Mike Shannon

Sent from my Droid Charge on Verizon 4G LTE

------Original Message------
To: <EBB_Sightings@...>,"Sheila Dickie" <falconmae@...>,<countylines@...>
Date: Monday, August 6, 2012 1:25:47 PM GMT-7
Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Nuttall's Woodpeckers in the Richmond area

Hi all,

Nuttall's Woodpecker is another example of a bird that has expanded its range recently. There are many Ebird reports from Miller/Knox from the past few years yet I recorded them there on only 3 widely spaced occasions. Notice they are all in fall.

Nuttall's
Woodpecker
9/22/2001

Nuttall's Woodpecker
10/12/2005

Nuttall's Woodpecker
9/16/1997

I did find them much more regularly in the eucalyptus forest at Pt. Pinole but, overall, I found this species to be quite scarce on the Bay plain around Richmond.

Steve Glover
Fort Worth, TX

--- On Mon, 8/6/12, Sheila Dickie <falconmae@...> wrote:

Subject: [EBB_Sightings] Miller Knox, Aug. 4
To: EBB_Sightings@...
Date: Monday, August 6, 2012, 12:29 PM

Sorry for late post.  Folowing up on a recently reported sighting of Red-breasted Nuthatch I went to Miller Knox Regional Shoreline Park in Pt. Richmond on Saturday, Aug 4 at about 5 p.m.  I saw one Red-Breasted Nuthatch also a Nuttall's Woodpecker and Western Bluebirds, but the amazing sight for me was the number of hummingbirds buzzing like bees in the top of the pink flowering eucalyptus.  Its hard to estimate how many but at least 10-12.  I did manage to focus on one Anna's and a Selasphorous but the birds seemed intent on displaying or chasing one another and chasing the Chickadees out of the tree.  Location: from the lst parking after you exit from the tunnel, walk along the path going toward the tunnel on the right hand side of the park.  There is a grouping of eucalyptus and pine trees adjacent to the path on your left where the action was 

On the lagoon, of note, there were two American White Pelicans.

Sheila Dickie

Richmond

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Join EBB-Sightings@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.