Re: European Goldfinch at Valle Vista

Bill Clark

I was able to confirm the sighting of EUROPEAN GOLDFINCH today at 10am at Valle Vista. Still at location as described well by Susan.

However, several birders and I had no luck at the No. Saw-Whet Owl nest box between 7:45am and 10:15am. No adults or young sighted.

Two wood duck were in a neighboring oak tree.

--- In EBB_Sightings@yahoogroups.com, "susan" <sssss10000@...> wrote:

Today around 12:30pm I saw a European Goldfinch at Valle Vista. Brilliant Red disc around the beak, white behind that, and yellow on the sides of the wings. Somewhat larger than a nearby chickadee.

To get to the location:
Walk past the owl box (on the right) and past the horse shed (on the left.) Further down on the left is a large bush with white, light pink, and dark pink flowers all on the same bush. Stand with this bush behind you; you will be facing a circle of pine trees between you and the reservoir. The bird was flying around the tops of these trees and working the pine cones.

This bird is most likely a domestic release.