Mitchell Canyon 5/13

Logan Kahle

Hi all,
As posted earlier, there was a male Northern Parula singing this morning at Mitchell Canyon at around 10:00AM, which was easily viewed by a California Academy of Sciences trip I was co-leading. The following link shows the exact location: https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&q=37.918143,-121.944371%20%28Mitchell%20Canyon%20Creek%20Northern%20Parula%29 Photos by Juan-Carlos Solis can be seen here: https://secure.flickr.com/photos/13730890@N02/ I may post more photos later.
Besides the Parula, there were also many other migrants/birds of local interest, including:
Cooper's Hawk-a few that were very vocally active, and it seemed they were nesting very nearby
Red-shouldered Hawk-supposedly quite scarce in this area, but we had 2
Golden Eagle-1 or 2 were flying around the red road trail area
White-thoated Swift-about 25 in total, mainly distant individuals
Western Wood-Pewee-1 seen singing near the very beginning of the main trail
Ash-throated Flycatcher-many calling and flycatching
Pacific-slope Flycatcher-1 heard and one drab individual seen
Swainson's Thrush-2 foraging in low scrub, including 1 near the Parula spot
Probable MacGillivray's Warbler-What appeared to be an adult male MacGillivray's Warbler was seen by me in flight for a few seconds as it flew behind some Gray Pines. It had an olive back, brighter yellow underparts and gray hood that seemed to be darker at the bottom.
Western Tanager-at least 6
Lazuli Bunting-A few singing near the Parula spot
Bullock's Oriole-only a few singing
Black-headed Grosbeak-Only 1 singing!
Purple Finch-1 singing
As previously posted, I ran into Mike Park and Jeff Hoppes in the early afternoon, though none of the previous rarities materialized.
Enjoy spring vagrant season!
Good birding,
Logan Kahle
San Francisco