Odd Heron-like Sighting, Fernandez Ranch

photohutch

Hi Birders,

While getting ready for this morning's Muir Heritage's photo expedition / workshop at Fernandez Ranch, we had a very odd fly over. Several experienced birders couldn't figure out what it could possibly be, especially given the ranch land / riparian habitat. The bird was clearly a heron of sorts. Brown, tan and white for the most part. Most likely candidates are an immature BC Night-Heron or Green Heron. To my crazy imagination, it looked like an American Bittern. Any thoughts on what could possibly have been out there?

On another note, a photographer flushed a game bird of some kind. Bigger than a quail, but she wasn't able to get any sort of id. She thought grouse size. Chukar possibly?

Who knows what might pop up when you're least expecting. . . .

Happy Birding!

Steve Hutchcraft
Alamo, CA