Albany & Wildcat (Richmond end)

Sheila Dickie

I stopped by the Albany mudflats today (May 1) round about 12:30 p.m.  The tide was way out so there was not much to see except for two Northern Rough-winged Swallows who handily landed on a small shrub as I was looking over the fence.

Yesterday, April 30, late afternoon I birded in Wildcat Canyon at the Alvarado Park end in Richmond (off of McBryde Ave) and no sooner was I out of the car than I was serenaded by a male Black-headed Grosbeak and an Orange Crowned Warbler, both in the same eucalyptus tree on the canyon side of the parking lot.  The warbler was sitting way out on a twig quite high up in the tree singing away.  The grosbeak was hidden among leaves and when I returned that bird or another male had taken up a position atop a pine in the canyon itself.

Not much other activity in Wildcat yesterday though over the last week there has been the occasional Wilson's Warbler and Brown Creeper, and Allen's Hummingbird.

Sheila Dickie
Richmond