Holland Tract: White-faced Ibis, A Bittern, Blue Grosbeak and other

Ann McGregor <annmcg@...>

This message is being forward from Albert Linkowski:

Probably because of problems with spam we experience, I was not able to send this post yesterday. 4/24/2012, I carried out observations in the eastern part of Contra Costa County, and more specifically on Holland Tract. From more interesting observation I should mention a Hooded Oriole (Icterus cucullatus), Blue Grosbeak (Passerina caerulea), singing individual American Bittern, as well as a flock of twenty White-faced Ibis (Plegadis chihi)

I photographed all of the mentioned, except A.Bitern (Botaurus lentiginosus) (waited almost one hour, up to sunset, but the bird did not intend to leave from cover, instead regularly shouted its distinctive call)

Ibises in flight (20 individuals), I must add that almost at the same place in March 28, this year, and also in flight I saw a flock of 24 Ibises

In addition, seven Western Kingbirds, four Bullock's Orioles, two Green Heron, eleven Wilson's Snipe, eighteen Caspian Terns (three flying over the canal, 15 seated on a sandy beach by &#8203;&#8203;seasonally flooded area),80 Greater White-fronted Goose, and about 300 American Wigeon.....and many others.

Good Day,

Albert Linkowski

https://picasaweb.google.com/116458691385845361056/WhiteFacedIbisPlegadisChihi?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Blue Grosbeak, poor quality photos