Elsie Roemer Sanctuary, Alameda (4/24) - Terns

Jerry Ting

Yesterday (4/24) afternoon I birded Elsie Roemer Bird Sanctuary in Alameda during high tide (3:45PM - 5:00PM). Hightlights include:

Caspian Tern (10+) (pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/7111407149/in/photostream)
Least Tern (16) (pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/7111475947/in/photostream)
Forster's Tern (10+)
Brown Pelican (2)
Sanderling (50+)
Black-bellied Plover (50+)
Short-billed Dowitcher (a lot)
Dunlin (a lot)
Western Sandpiper (a lot)
Western Gull (15+ various cycles and plumages)
Ring-billed Gull (10+ various cycles and plumages)
Double-crested Cormorant (4)

There is one individual tern which I could not tell if it's a Common or Forster's (pic http://www.flickr.com/photos/jerryting/6965629870/in/photostream). It seems it's in the 2nd year plumage with red bill, almost no white area between upper mandible and the black nap, white underpart with no gray, and medium dark primaries. Maybe someone will be able to share some thoughts.

Happy Birding,

Jerry Ting
Fremont