Bushrod Park oddity

Ann McGregor <annmcg@...>

Forwarded from Judi Sierra

A Black-crowned Night-heron was foraging on the lawn at 5 AM today, of Bushrod Park, Oakland, Shattuck and 60th St. It was quite visible under the street light. Bushrod doesn't have any water features and the lawn isn't soggy. Two blocks from my house so I guess I can't quite call it a yard bird.

Meanwhile in Strawberry Canyon, Berkeley I have heard the Northern Pygmy Owl both today and yesterday , shortly before 6 AM. It sounds as though it's coming from the usual vicinity of the upper trail, nearer to the upper parking lot than the 1/2 mile mark from the connector where I turn around.

Judi Sierra
Oakland